Share with friends!
Where can you teach English online to adults?
Table of contents
Teaching is one of the most energy-consuming job, where you help people not only speak English but also overcome their fears. The Internet obsession has changed and improved learning process. And it got way easier to join a class. Instead of commuting to a classroom, you save time and work from any place. ESL teachers mostly opt for working with kids, because it is funny and entertaining. But what if it isn't your thing?
Needless to say that teaching adults is different but way more thoughtful. If you are into critical thinking and controversial topics, give it a shot in online teaching. You can realize your professional potential through Business English, English for Specific Purposes, or General one. It might be either your full or part-time job. But as soon as you start making money online, the choice will be made.
There is the only question that comes after it. Where can I find adult students? That might be really tough especially for rookies. That's why, you should start working in online school. It shoulders all responsibility for searching students and making teaching materials. In order to help you and narrow down your choice, we have made a list of respectable companies, which you may consider as a workplace.
What qualifications do you need to teach English online?
If you use your laptop or computer for video gaming only, we have something to discuss. Online teaching has many obvious benefits, but it's quite challenging too. There are many things that you must keep in mind during your lessons. Having offline classes, you may explain something with body language, gestures, and facial expression. When it comes to online discussion, there are other ways. That's why ESL companies require some knowledge in terms of computer literacy, decent equipment, personal qualities, and education.
There are the most essential requirements for ESL teachers:
- a bachelor's degree in any subject;
- TEFL/TESOL certification;
- proficiency in the English language;
- relevant experience;
- native English speakers.
The last two statements are quite flexible. If it's not your first job ever, you can prove your ability to teach providing some relevant examples such as working at Summer Camps or kindergartens. However, it's not the end of the world if you haven't worked before. Some companies are willing to hire even unexperienced teachers to grow high-qualified specialists.
It's not a secret that people tend to think that native speakers know the language better than non-natives. That's why some schools have such a request. Don't get upset so quickly. Firstly, you can demonstrate your impressive knowledge of English. Otherwise, just choose another school, where there isn't such a term.
The best ESL companies for online teaching to adults
Making money working from home is a reality not a dream. When you are locked and loaded to fit the bill, you have a huge veriety of opportunities where to work. Salary is significant but not the only thing that you should pay attention to. Flexible hours, teaching materials, and reporting system must be taken into account as well. Let's get familiar with the most popular ESL schools.
You may see EF adds on the Internet, because it's quite popular and trustworthy. Most adults turn to it to learn English. That's why the school has a strict requirement in terms of nationality. You must be a native speaker from an English-speaking country. As for merits, you don't have to think of lesson plans and additional materials. The company provides everything you need to teach online. However, stable Internet connection and a computer are you responsibilities.
- Being a citizen of the UK or the US is a necessity.
- A degree and TEFL certification are must-have as a proof to teach ESL online.
- There are no minimum working hours. Teachers may set their own schedule.
- There are three options: 20 and 40 minutes of individual classes and 45-minute group lessons.
- Payment varies from $12-19 an hour depending on experience and qualification.
It's a huge teachers' community, where students choose trainers according to their preference. In order to become more likeable, tutors make introduction videos to make good first impression and tell about their teaching approaches. Despite that applying for a job is quite competetive, the requirements are rather flexible.
- You should have one of three things to start teaching there a degree in teaching English, a national English teaching lisence, or TEFL certification.
- Set working hours and price.
- italki charges a 15% commision fee for each lesson except the trial.
- Only one-on-one classes with students from any place around the world.
- Teaching materials and lesson plans are your duties.
- ESL tutors either must be native speakers or have C2 level.
This platform allows you to teach Business English and work with professionals from different realms. The school helps to manage your time to work with students from different countries. Fortunately, there isn't a word about being a native speaker, however there are other things that you must agree with. Commitment to having fixed working hours for one year is one of them.
- 2 years of teaching experience is a must-have, whereas business background is preffered.
- Proficiency in a foreign language you'll be teaching is one of the most important requests, as well as qualification.
- You must be able to have the same schedule for a year and be available during 06:00 -9:00 / 12:00 – 15:00 / 17:00 – 20:00 / 22:00 – 01:00 (UTC/GMT).
- There are different sessions such as vertial group classes and private lessons.
- You will get access to Learnlight's library to use all materials you need.
- Payment isn't the highest and ranges from $12 to $15 per hour.
It offers convenient terms to students and teachers all over the world. Thankfully, there almost aren't extraordinary requirements for ESL teachers. The school keeps focus on English only providing one-on-one virtual classes. Short 25-minute lessons will alow you to fit such a job in your ordinary life. Despite the platform lets you teach on you own, the high commision rate may scary some newcomers.
- TEFL qualification isn't a necessity but is quite advisable.
- Skima Talk is waiting for people from English-speaking countries, and the high level of English can't be a replacement.
- Niether lesson plans nor materials are provided, so teachers have additional task to handle.
- The system obliges to provide 3 free sessions and then sets a price as $8 per 25 minutes. However, you can change it whenever you're ready.
- Whatever price you choose, you will get only 80% of it, as Skima Talk charges a 20% commision fee.
Cambly is famous for its short and convenient sessions. As soon as an ESL student has time, their send a request to a teacher to talk to. All students are adult, who are keen on learning General English to communicate in usual situations. In comparison with previous companies, there aren't requirements at all. Education, qualification and experience are preffered but not required. Probably you understand that there is a que of teachers, who want to work there.
- You must be from an English-speaking country.
- Set your own schedule and teach when you have free time.
- Most students are from universities and want to enhance their speaking and listening skills. Some of them might be interested in exam preparation.
- Earn $0,17 per a minute or $10,20 an hour. Cambly system automatically counts your salary and delivers it every Monday.
- Cambly provides some guides, trainings, and even tests to conduct your lessons.
This platform works in one click. Students choose a topic card and connect to an available teacher to talk to. It's pretty convenient working system, you just need to switch a status to become visible for students when you are ready to work. Also, classes are available 24/7. Students are mostly Asian university students and grown-ups.
- Teaching experience, a bachelor's degree, and qualification are priorities.
- There is no minimum on how many hours you must work a week.
- The platform considers candidates from the US, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, the UK and Australia.
- You can't set your own price because it's fixed ($11,20/hour).
An English language platform that connects students with qualified teachers. All sessions are private and happen through video chat. The good news is you don't have to be a native speaker to work there. TEFL certificate isn't a necessary condition, but it will increase your chances to get the position. Unfortunately, lack of experience is out of the question. Verbling is looking for candidates with C2 level of English and working background.
- You can prove your competence through the high level of the language and knowledge of teaching.
- It is possible to work as full-time as part-time. Just choose available hours on your calendar.
- You can set your own price and cash out money through such servises as PayPal, TransferWise, Payoneer, or Verbling Credit.
- Be ready to provide individual sessions working on your own materials without methodological support.
It's a Vietnam school with more than 40 000 students from South Asia. Such a huge amount of learners keeps about 1500 tutors busy. So, you might be calm for your working hours. Students from universities are into speaking English fluently, so you should have some conversational topics to discuss. Newcomers can find this place quite friendly, because lack of experience isn't a problem at all.
- As long as Topica Native doesn't require a lot, TEFL certification will be your advantage among other candidates.
- You have to work at least 20 hours a month choosing available time.
- The salary changes from $8,15 to $16 an hour depending on your qualification and background.
- All necessary materials will be given by the company.
Voxy offers ESL trainers a part-time job working on task-based approach with appropriate authentic materials. Decent work conditions make applying process easier. Even if you are not a high-qualified professional, you may start working because of your knowledge of the language and teaching skills. Needless to say that a TEFL/TESOL certificate is significant in this case.
- You will get a position having either a degree in teaching or a TEFL certificate.
- Conduct private or group classes using Voxy's teaching materials.
- Expand you professional horizons teaching exam preparation or Business English.
- The hourly wage is fixed $17,50/hour, however you save a bunch of time on preparation.
- You will be expected to work at least 10 hours each week.
This platform offers decent salary and flexible working hours to ESL teachers. An average weekly payment is about $550. Preply perfectly matches students with teachers according to their preferences and goals. Preply values personal qualities, teaching skills, and knowledge of the language over experience and degrees. The more you work in Preply, the less comission fee gets.
- As long as experience doesn't play the most important role, TEFL courses become a preferred condition.
- Work as much as you want and set your rate according to your confidence and competence.
- An average hourly wage is $15-25.
- A commission fee with a new student is 100%, and if they go on studying with you, it decreases from 33% to 18% depending on how much you work.
There are many online platforms where you can teach English to adults. Some of them offer high salaries but require being a native speaker, others take huge commission fees but provide with a line of students. Make a wise choice depending on you qualification and background. We have prepared some top-paying online companies. If you want to find more, check our article.
Online teaching seems to be easier, in fact, it is way more complicated. You must take care of your equipment, spend some time on preparation, and make students feel comfortable. There are a lot of things on our plate. That's why, teaching skills is one of must-have things you should have. You can save much time on making lesson plans and searching appropriate materials. An online TEFL/TESOL course is for those, who are fond of English, but are not confident in teaching yet. It doesn't matter whether you have experience or not. In this course you will be given information about teaching conversational English, Business one, and ESP to people of different ages. Enroll in online TEFL/TESOL course and purchase it at a 50% discount.
We hope you found this article valuable. Don't be afraid and start your career now. Please share your ideas about the best places for ESL teaching online in the comment section below.
EFL, ESL, ESP, TEFL, TESOL